Enter the Legal Field with Paralegal Classes at BTI
Are you passionate about helping people? Are you drawn to the Legal field, but don't want to spend years in law school? Going to school to become a Paralegal can give you the best of both worlds. Gain the skills you need at our campus located near the Reading, Wyomissing, Saint Lawrence and Lebanon areas.
Our Paralegal program gives you the foundation in legal studies you need to begin a successful and exciting career. Through a combination of Paralegal classes and an externship, you can gain the knowledge you need to be an asset to any legal team.
Courses in BTI's Paralegal Program
Our comprehensive curriculum covers everything you need to know to become a Paralegal. Our program is streamlined to help you start your career as soon as possible. A few of the courses that make up our Paralegal program are:
- Criminal Law and Procedures - In this class we teach you about laws regarding crimes against the person, property and public. We also cover state-specific statutes.
- Introduction to Legal Research - You'll learn the skills to use a standard law library, as well as valuable techniques for locating case law and statutes.
- Evidence - This course covers what evidence can be shown to the jury as well as relevance and suppression rules to give you an understanding of how courts work with evidence in a variety of cases.
Potential Career Paths After Finishing Your Paralegal Courses
Legal training is a valuable asset and opens the door to a number of careers. BTI's Paralegal classes prepare you for the following potential careers:
- Legal Assistant - As an essential part of a legal team, Legal Assistants investigate case facts, prepare legal documents and research applicable case laws to help attorneys build their cases.
- Claims Examiner - Claims Examiners review claims to ensure that they are legally valid and adhere to the appropriate laws.
Externship Opportunities to Get Experience in the Legal Field
We require our students in the Paralegal program to participate in an externship. We believe that externships are valuable as they allow you to apply what you've learned in a real-life setting. Externships also give you a glimpse into the working world and what it's like to be a part of the field.
Our Paralegal program's externship partners include a number of local law offices, the nearby courthouse, as well as law practices in Philadelphia, Reading and more.
Whether you're interested in an externship with a private firm or in a courthouse, we'll find the best option for you.
How BTI Supports You in Finding a New Career in the Legal Field
We offer our students assistance throughout their relationship with BTI. We're here for you through the application process, during your time in the program, and even after graduation.
We also believe it's important to keep our Career Services Department team open to our alumni. We have useful workshops and review your résumé reviews, mock interviews to enhance your interviewing skills and more, regardless of where you are in your career.
Learn More About Paralegal Classes at BTI
* Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, Paralegals and Legal Assistants, on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/legal/paralegals-and-legal-assistants.htm (visited May 17, 2015).